St. Peter's Catholic Church, which was built in 1835 by an unknown architect, is across the street from St. Paul's. For 70 years, including the Civil War, this was Richmond’s cathedral (in 1906 the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart on Monroe Park was dedicated). A prominent Confederate military unit was organized here in 1861 — the Montgomery Guards of the 1st Virginia Infantry Regiment. Bishop John McGill blessed the group before it saw the first of many battles. The unit was also part of Pickett’s charge at Gettysburg.