News & Features » Miscellany

Part 1

100 Movers And Shapers

comment
James H. Dooley
(1841-1922) b. Richmond
and Sallie May Dooley
(1846-1925) b. Lunenburg County
Locals and visitors alike cherish Maymont, the elegant, 100-acre riverfront estate with rolling hills, elaborate gardens and those famous swan beds. The estate was left to the city in the 1920s after the deaths of Maj. Dooley, a lawyer and railroad tycoon, and his wife, Sallie. Among their other philanthropic legacies to the community are St. Joseph's Villa, Children's Hospital and establishing the Richmond Public Library at Franklin and First streets.

Joseph Bryan
(1845-1908) b. Gloucester County;
John Stewart Bryan
(1871-1944) b. Henrico County
and David Tennant Bryan
(1906-1998) b. Richmond

Bryans have been at the helm of daily newspapers here throughout the 20th century. Joseph Bryan fought for the Confederacy with Mosby's raiders and later served as president of the Richmond Locomotive Works. As owner of the Richmond Times and the Evening Leader, in 1903 he consolidated the papers into one company and became publisher of the Richmond Times-Dispatch and the Richmond News Leader. Three years earlier his son, John Stewart, had joined the operation where he would work for 44 years. John Stewart's son, David Tennant, who joined the company in 1928, would build the family holdings into Media General, a diversified media firm with interests in television and newspapers. The family donated its family estate, Laburnum near Ginter Park, for construction of Richmond Memorial Hospital in 1957. "Conservative by tradition and personal philosophy," is how D. Tennant once described himself. J. Stewart Bryan III is now the fourth generation leading this media empire.

Grace Arents
(1848-1926) b. New York, N.Y.
Grace Arents moved from New York to live with her rich uncle, tobacconist and tycoon Lewis Ginter, and inherited much of his considerable estate at the turn of the century. She became one of the most forward-thinking social reformers in the city's history. Her work on Oregon Hill is still very much alive with St. Andrew's Episcopal School. Her North Side home, Bloemendaal, has flowered into a glorious botanical garden with the endowment she left in her uncle's memory.

Thomas Fortune Ryan
(1851-1928) b. Nelson County
He was a poor boy who left rural Virginia for Baltimore and New York where he struck it fabulously rich through investments, railroads and tobacco. But he never forgot his roots. In 1906, he and his wife donated funds for the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, the spectacular Beaux Arts temple that graces Monroe Park. It is thought to be the only cathedral built with the stroke of one check. The Ryans also built the Sacred Heart Church and Community Center, still vital institutions in Manchester.

Rosa Dixon Bowser
(1855-1931) b. Amelia County
A remarkable educator, in 1872 Rosa Dixon Bowser became the first black teacher in the Richmond Public School system. Between 1884 and 1923, she taught many generations of Richmonders at the Baker School and organized the first night school for men and boys who worked during the day. The first branch of the Richmond Public Library was named in her honor. That building now houses the Black History Museum and Cultural Center of Virginia.

Eppa Hunton Jr.
(1855-1932) b. Prince William County
Like many talented and energetic Virginians who came of age after the Civil War, Eppa Hunton wore many hats. The son of a Confederate general and U.S. senator, Hunton was a president of the Richmond Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad and a member of the Virginia House of Delegates. He also served during the Virginia Constitutional Convention of 1901-1902, which disenfranchised most blacks and a number of poor whites by imposing poll taxes requiring literacy tests. When Marshal Ferdinand Foch, general of the Allied armies, visited Richmond on Armistice Day 1921, following the end of World War I, it was the distinguished Hunton, a lion of the Richmond establishment, who served as toastmaster. Oh yes, in 1901 he also helped found the law firm Hunton & Williams, which still bears his name.

John Barton Payne
(1855-1935) b. Prunytown, W. Va.
and John Garland Pollard
(1870-1937) b. King and Queen County

It was the midst of the Great Depression when federal judge, long-time head of the American Red Cross and art collector John Barton Payne and Gov. John Garland Pollard put their heads together and spearheaded the formation of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Payne donated $500,000 worth of artwork and $100,000 in cash. Pollard, governor during the century's most difficult decades (and a former William & Mary professor), pushed the partial conversion of the Confederate veterans grounds at Boulevard and Grove as the art museum site. Earlier this year, the site's conversion continued with the museum's Center for Education and Outreach in the former Confederate ladies home.

Virginia Randolph Ellet
(1857-1939) b. New York, N.Y.
Virginia Randolph Ellet, or Miss Jennie as she was called, was a true pioneer in education. After the death of her father, who fought in the Civil War, Virginia Randolph was reared by her mother, Mary Hudson, from whom she learned the importance of education. Beginning in 1890 with her mother, Ellet schooled young boys and girls at 109 E. Grace St. After several relocations, the growing school moved west to Grove Avenue, at the time, the end of the trolley line. In 1904, because of Miss Jennie's insistence on the highest standards of learning for young women, this precursor to St. Catherine's School became the eighth place in the world where the Bryn Mawr entrance exam was given. Nearly a century later, St. Catherine's School still stands as the embodiment of excellence - a stately tribute to Miss Jennie's lifelong commitment to women's education.

The Rev. Walter William Moore
(1857-1926) b. Charlotte, N.C.
In 1898 at the close of 19th century, Union Theological Seminary moved its campus from Hampden-Sydney near Farmville to Richmond so that its Presbyterian ministerial students could be exposed to an urban setting. Developer Lewis Ginter had provided the seminary with choice acreage in his new suburb of Ginter Park. The Rev. Walter Moore, a professor and Presbyterian minister, assumed the seminary presidency in 1904 and served until 1926. Not only did he build the institution, he established the liberal tradition that continues today. During the racially and politically charged 1960s and early '70s, the seminary was often the center of debate in an otherwise placid city.

Carter Glass
(1858-1946) b. Lynchburg
Big local banks have been consumed by out-of-state financial institutions, but the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond remains a point of pride. Its headquarters, designed by Minoru Yamasaki (also architect of Manhattan's World Trade Center), shimmers on the downtown skyline. U.S. Sen. Carter Glass, Senate Banking Committee head and father of the Fed, went to the mat in 1914 to ensure that Richmond beat out larger Baltimore for one of 12 regional

Add a comment