Built in 1845 by Thomas Stewart, a Philadelphia architect who also designed St. Paul's Episcopal Church the same year, this is a rare — and one of the nation's best — examples of Egyptian Revival architecture.
The Medical College of Virginia was the only medical school in the South to remain open throughout the Civil War. Its enrollment was bolstered with the transfer of 144 students from the University of Pennsylvania's Jefferson School of Medicine to MCV under the direction of Dr. Hunter McGuire. Today, as part of Virginia Commonwealth University, this is the oldest medical school building in the South still in use. The interior was altered significantly in the 1930s and redecorated in the art deco style with a grant from Bernard Barauch, a prominent New York businessman whose father had attended the school.