Opinion & Blogs » Letters

Lincoln the "Terrorist"

If you are going to quote Lincoln ("Jefferson A.,ÂȘEoTiny Toes' Davis Versus Honest Abe," Street Talk, June 18), why don't you want to include additional comments from that debate?

"I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races -- that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races ... I, as much as any man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race." -- From Lincoln's second debate with Stephen Douglas, Aug. 27, 1858.

Your truncated quote makes it seem Lincoln means all men when he truly meant all "white" men are created equal and free. To the victors go the spoils of the war, including rewriting history as the U.S. government saw fit. The facts are less than 5 percent of rich white Southerners in 1861 owned all the 4 million slaves. The other 95 percent of Southerners did not give a damn about fighting so the rich could keep their slaves. They fought because the U.S. government invaded their homeland, among other factors. And why were Northern border states allowed to keep their slaves even after the Emancipation Proclamation?

Lincoln was a white supremest who had every intention of deporting all freed slaves after the war "to a climate suitable to them." I am sure Black America likes to think the North fought to free them, but that is also incorrect. Most fought to maintain the union and put down the "Southern Rebellion." It was an embarrassment to Lincoln that the union dissolved under his administration.

Lincoln was also a terrorist who waged war on civilians, killing women and children. You will never justify that in any civilized society. That's why the Lincoln gatekeepers rewrote and edited history to produce his "walk on water image."

I do pray the "Great Emancipator" met with the devil, on his own ground.

Ronald Gordon