Richmond's Spacebomb Records and the Richmond Folk Festival announced today the first single from a special live compilation album celebrating the 15th anniversary of the festival.
The 10-song album, "All Together Now," will be released on Oct. 11, the first day of this year's Folk Fest, and includes select tracks recorded live since the National Folk Festival first came to Richmond in 2005.
The release will be available on CD, digital download and vinyl! (Including an orange and green tie-dye pressed vinyl collector's edition). All proceeds from sales go directly to support the Richmond Folk Festival. The CD will also feature extra tracks (see below).
Those interested can download the single and pre-order the record now at https://shop.spacebombrecords.com/music/categories/richmond-folk-festival or at any of these local record store locations: Plan 9, Deep Groove, Steady Sounds, 6131, Small Friend Records & Books. And below you can check out the first track, Lulo Reinhardt and Daniel Stelter's "Swing 2012."
“We were absolutely floored when Spacebomb reached out to us about producing the album,” said Venture Richmond Director of Events Stephen Lecky in a press release. “I have had the pleasure of working with them on various events like TEDxRVA and Fall Line Fest, but this is totally different than anything we have done before."
Lecky describes it as a thrilling experience, but also incredibly daunting to curate a shortlist of performances.
"We’re so grateful to our partners at the National Council of the Traditional Arts for their thoughtful guidance on the track selection,” he added.
NCTA Artistic Director Julia Olin undertook the task of searching through 1,300 hours of archived recordings, with a focus on reflecting the diversity of musical traditions presented at the festival.
“I must have been crazy,” Olin said in the release. “There were so many magical live performances that I couldn’t resist pulling over eight hours of material – even though only a fraction of it could be included in this project. It was incredibly hard to choose; we wanted to share it all.”
CDs and standard black vinyl will be available for sale on-site at the festival’s merchandise tent, according to the release.
“Richmond’s musical footprint is growing nationally and internationally and the Richmond Folk Festival is an important part of the city’s musical story,” Spacebomb Records CEO Ben Baldwin said. “We’re proud to be working with the Richmond Folk Festival to release an important musical document covering the first 15 years of the festival’s history.”
And now, what you've been waiting for, here is the track list below, including the extra tracks on the CD:
Track list for "All Together Now":/b>
1. Clinton Fearon and the Boogie Brown Band, "Feel the Spirit"
2. Lulo Reinhardt and Daniel Stelter, "Swing 2012"
3. Maggie Ingram & The Ingramettes, "Family Prayer"
4. Lunasa – "Ryestraw (medley): The New Day March/Reystraw/An Old Woman Would"
5. Nathalie Pires - "Loucura (Madness)"
6. The Holmes Brothers, "Baby What You Want Me To Do"
7. Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band -"Don't Ask Me Why"
8. The Quebe Sisters – "Speed the Plow Medley: Speed the Plow/The Maid Behind the Bar/Temerance Reel"
9. Altai Kai - "My Native Land, Altai"
10. Mariachi Los Camperos de Nati Cano - "México lindo/¡Viva México!"
And here are some bonus tracks on the CD:
11. Sona Jobarteh - "Mamamuso"
12. Dale Watson and His Lonestars - "Real Country Song/A Nashville Rash"
13. Rare Essence - "Overnight Scenario"
14. BeauSoleil Trio - "Le Sud de la Louisiane"
15. Sammy Shelor and Kirk Sutphin - "Angeline the Baker"
16. Spanish Harlem Orchestra - "Son de Corazón"