Richmond Mayor Dwight Jones wants you to know that, despite more than three weeks of radio silence, his proposal to build a stadium in Shockoe Bottom is still very much a thing.
“This plan is not dead as some would have you to believe,” Jones wrote in his constituent newsletter Wednesday.
It’s the first time Jones has publicly addressed the status of his stadium proposal since the end of last month when he pulled it from the City Council agenda after it became apparent he didn’t have the votes.
Rather than watch it die, Jones said at the time he was worried council members didn’t have enough information about the plan’s details and would reintroduce it once his staff was able to address council’s questions and provide further updates.
Jones said in his newsletter that he intends to keep promoting the development and reiterated talking points about the benefits he says it would bring the city.
But it remains unclear whether the complex deal to develop the stadium is even complete. The administration initially said it would have a finalized deal before council at the end of March. When the city was still trying to work out a land deal with private developers at the end of May, councilmembers Jon Baliles and Charles Samuels joined three other opponents, Chris Hilbert, Reva Trammell and Parker Agelasto, in saying they would vote against the plan.
Baliles and Samuels criticized Jones’ “slow drip approach of information” in a joint statement announcing their opposition.
If the mayor is still pushing council members to support his plan, he’s doing it quietly. Jones canceled a meeting with council members earlier this month to discuss the plan.
And as of Tuesday, Baliles confirmed to Style that he’d heard nothing further from the mayor’s staff regarding the baseball proposal.